Saturday, December 31, 2005

Kaena Point

As we drove towards the end of Farrington Highway, excitement ignited at the sight of the massive wall of water curling and crashing onto to the Waianae shore. We shouted out cheers from the amazement of something that only came once a year. The driver [Ed] momentarily lost focus of the road, so I took the wheel with one hand just in case he would swerve to the other lane. Yes, the waves were huge as reported and we were headed to Kaena Point to see more of it. The coastal view has drawn our attention to the ghostly layers of the Waianae mountains getting fainter as it nearly vanished into the horizon. It was a spectacular sight, I pulled Yolanda out of its bag and shot my first picture of the day.

I wanted a better angle for my shot so I walked over the berm towards the shore. My eyes stumbled on a lonesome sunbather lying face down on the white sand of Yokohama Beach. I didn't get to see her face nor bossom, but a glimpse of her thong covered rear was sufficient to satisfy a spectator like myself.

The morning sun was merciless and we knew that it would get worse during the mid-day. So, we wasted no time and started walking towards the trail. We saw what we came for. Waves constantly crashed against the jagged cliffs and the furious sound of nature followed us throughout our journey. Water would cascade down the cliffs after each rolling wave crushed the rocky shore. The air was full of salt and the white particles began to appear on our legs and arms. You can just imagine how salty our bodies were with the added residue from our sweat.
One of the most bizarre sights was the eroded automobile that was left sitting on the rocks at the bottom of the cliff. The natural elements have consumed most of the metal and spared those that weren't metal. The bright rusty orange highly contrasted against the monotone colors of the black rocks. The rusty fluid washed away by the sea painted the rocks near the water and it looked like something you'd find in Mars.
The most dangerous part of the trip was the trail gap that we needed to cross using an existing 4x6 wood beam as a bridge. The gap was about 4 feet long but if someone were to fall, the fall could be fatal or it'll definitely leave a memorable scar. The only thing that we could hold on to for balance was the rocky cliff. Luckily, everyone crossed the gap without getting hurt. Before the gap was an eerie cave that no one dared enter. The darkness within made its depth mysterious and infinite. The cob webbs at the entrance contributed to the fear of an unknown domain.

No comments: